David Wheldon, CMO of RBS, presented Seven Dumb Ways for Marketing to Die (15:33 video). The presentation was given during WFA’s Global Marketer Conference in March 2016 in Kuala Lumpur.
- Believing the definition of marketing has changed.
- Being less than 100% customer obsessed. That includes people who are obsessed with the competition.
- Being Either/Or. It’s And/And. It’s not digital or traditional. You have to do all of it.
“integration skills, collaboration skills, listening skills, and facilitating skills have never been more vital.”
- Being on target and completely missing the point.
“Marketing is the confidence industry and the value creation industry.”
- Focusing just on the ‘What?’ and ‘how?’ — but forgetting the ‘why?’
- Believing the magic answer to everything is branded content.
- Suicide by overdose.
Brand is everything. Two definitions:
- A brand is what a brand does.
- A brand is what people say about you when you are not in the room.